[BlueOnyx:26981] Re: Connecting to MSSQL

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed May 22 04:04:40 -05 2024

Hi Colin,

> We have a new customer on 5210R wanting to connect to a MSSQL database.
>
> What do I need to install on the BX?
>
> Found this on the internet but don’t want to break things:
>
> Sudo curl https://packages.microsoft.com/config/rhel/7/prod.repo
> <https://packages.microsoft.com/config/rhel/7/prod.repo> >
> /etc/yum.repos.d/mssql-release.repo

That is a repository for EL7 and on 5210R (EL9) it won't work.

> sudo yum remove unixODBC-utf16 unixODBC-utf16-devel # if these packages
> are installed
Hell, no. If you have the shop PHP installed, you probably have these
two RPMS:

unixODBC-2.3.7-1.el8.x86_64
unixODBC-devel-2.3.7-1.el8.x86_64

If you remove them, things break hard.

As far as MSSQL goes? Various forms of the Shop PHP PKG's over the years
have had or still have MSSQL support built in via unixODBC. But this is
something hardly anyone uses. I'm not even sure how to use it anymore.

Create a phpinfo() page on the Vsite and check what it reports. It
should tell you if the PHP version(s) in question have it or not. And
based on that the user needs to figure out if he can use it.

But installing something from a third party repo won't do. It needs to
be for the architecture in question *and* the PHP you plan to use it
with needs to be compiled against it.