[BlueOnyx:27005] Re: Web server and SSH not running

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed May 29 23:35:54 -05 2024

Hi Janwillem,

> Sounds vaguely like an issue I had 2 days ago on 5211 where I activated
> Nginx.
> Lost all admserv access and SSH access. Only way to get it back was a
> reboot of the VM.

I'm having difficulties trying to think about a scenario that could
cause this. When you flip the activation switch on a service, that
service (and possibly a few related ones) will be told to restart.

A Nginx activation via the GUI for example will also restart Apache, but
not AdmServ.

Eventually the Sauce::Service daemon will register the restart requests
and will process them. If a service fails to restart, it will try again
in 30 seconds for several times over before it gives up. Sauce::Service
is a small daemon that constantly runs and restarts itself via Systemd
if it ever falls onto its nose.

And every 15 minutes Active Monitor will run a check, will notice if a
service that's up is actually down and it also tries to restart it. If
that doesn't work, it'll send an alert email. This is of course
dependent on the service "crond", which must be running for this.

So between Sauce::Service and Active Monitor we do have redundancy and
fallbacks for this. That it still went off the rails is something worth
investigating.