[BlueOnyx:01973] Re: eth0 issues

Greg Kuhnert greg.kuhnert at theanchoragesylvania.com
Sun Aug 9 08:11:20 -05 2009

Tony C. Loosle wrote:
> from what I found in the past, this is a problem back to the original
> Cobalt Raq servers and has not been fixed.
>
> If you have more than 2 Ethernet ports the server will drive you nuts!
>  you can't add an ip from the gui, as it gives an error.  and the
> reboot and no Ethernet is what happened to me.
>
> The only solution I am aware of, and works for me, is to turn off one
> of the Ethernet ports via the bios.

I have a solution that is rather unconventional, but it works - every
time, without fail.

Step 1: yum install wireless-tools

Step 2: Create a file with vi (or similar) called /etc/iftab... Sample
below:

The file contains a mapping from mac addresses to logical names... Eg:

       eth0      mac 08:00:09:DE:82:00
       eth1      mac 08:00:09:DE:82:01
       eth2      mac 08:00:09:DE:82:02

Step 3: Execute /sbin/ifrename in an appropriate init script. (Just
after the normal network startup stuff would be a good place).

What does it do? If Linux gets the names of the interfaces "wrong"
during bootup, it will rename them to the correct names. It was designed
for wireless cards, but it works really well in all of my tests for
multi interface systems.

I hope this helps anyone with this issue.

Regards,
Greg.

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
| <  o  > Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules & Support.    |