[BlueOnyx:02037] Re: Perl conflicts in upgrade attempt

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Aug 12 07:41:26 -05 2009

Hi Chuck,

> I've run into a problem updating one of our BX servers.  Perl and its
> dependancies won't upgrade.

Quick question from my end: When you mean "Perl doesn't upgrade" ... do you
mean you want to do a "yum update" against the BlueOnyx and CentOS
repositories and Perl fails to update?

Or do you mean that you want to install a Perl from a third party, or one you
build yourself?

In general I would advise against upgrading Perl on BlueOnyx with anything but
a CentOS supplied Perl. It's fine to upgrade some Perl modules from CPAN (or
through third party RPMs), but ripping out Perl itself and shoving in a Perl
that wasn't specifically compiled for CentOS5 in "the RedHat way" may cause
issues all over the place.

It starts with such small things as man pages which the third party perl may
store in different places than the CentOS Perl. Or it could be that your third
party Perl contains manpages which - on CentOS - are already aboard as they
were supplied by another RPM.

Next there are the things that may appear to be less obvious. When you replace
the onboard Perl with one that's radically newer, then future YUM updates of
course still update the RPM supplied Perl modules. That may be fine, or it may
not, as those are "expecting" to find the CentOS Perl and may not "play
nicely" with your updated custom Perl. That is especially true for the
BlueOnyx GUI interface, which also heavily relies on Perl based handlers and
constructors and bring their own Perl module aboard which contains those
aspects.

Personally and professionally I do a lot of things with Perl and in my
opionion there are not enough things wrong with the CentOS5 Perl that would
warrant an upgrade to the latest available Perl. Or any newer Perl than the
one aboard on CentOS5. Most of the cripes I have with it can be settled by
small work arounds or by upgrading some Perl modules to the latest versions.

At the worst and if you really need your custom Perl, you could leave the
onboard Perl alone and compile a custom one with a modified prefix, so that it
installs somewhere else. Like /usr/local instead of /usr. Then simply execute
your Perl scripts which need the new Perl with the custom Perl and everything
else that's fine with the onboard Perl can still use that one instead.

> Most of it appears to be conflict with the package
> perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.30-1.noarch. Does anyone recognize that package
> name, or know what its used for?

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/3628185/com/perl-ExtUtils-
MakeMaker-6.30-1.noarch.rpm.html

That RPM is not present on a stock BlueOnyx and it's not available in the
CentOS Yum repository either. But I seem to remember that MailScanner installs
usually forced it aboard with a brutal --force --nodeps. Both let my hairs
stand on end (MailScanner and what it does to my beloved Perl. :o).

Are you by chance trying to install MailScanner?