[BlueOnyx:03111] ProFTP connection speed

Darrell D. Mobley dmobley at uhostme.com
Tue Dec 15 15:47:00 -05 2009

Occasionally, I have seen questions here about the length of time it takes
for ProFTP to connect, usually a 10-15 second delay.  I noticed this on my
new BX server and looked for a solution.  There were several messages out
there about the log_on_success setting in /etc/xinetd.d/proftpd.

What I found as a solution had to do with /etc/proftpd.conf and
"IdentLookups Off", particularly where it should be in the file. I found
this was already in the configuration file, twice.  Once under:

# Do not perform ident nor DNS lookups (hangs when the port is filtered)
TimesGMT                        off
IdentLookups                    off

And immediately after that at:

# begin global -- do not delete
MaxClients 100000
IdentLookups off
UseReverseDNS off
# end global -- do not delete

I wondered if it would make any difference where it was located, because the
solution I found said specifically to put it within the "Global" block.

# Normally, we want users to do a few things.
<Global>
  AllowOverwrite                yes
  <Limit ALL SITE_CHMOD>
    AllowAll
  </Limit>
# Restrict the range of ports from which the server will select when sent
the
# PASV command from a client. Use IANA-registered ephemeral port range of
# 49152-65534
PassivePorts 49152 65534
IdentLookups Off
</Global>

So, I put it where you see it a couple of lines up and it immediately fixed
my FTP connection lag time.  Be sure to restart xinetd when done editing:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart