[BlueOnyx:00537] Re: Boot BX installer from USB memory key?

David Thacker David at ThackerNet.com
Tue Feb 17 11:00:43 -05 2009

> I've got an MSI P1-104A2M server that I bought from Raqware about 15
> months ago, currently has BQ installed. I haven't gotten around to
> rotating it into production use yet, and have decided to try BX on it.
>
> This server does not have a CD-ROM drive, and I do not have a USB CD
> drive. I do, however, have several multigig USB memory keys. According
> the the MSI website, the server BIOS does support Boot from USB Device
> 1.1
> and 2.0.
>
> save yourself a lot of work...
> just pop the top off the server box
> use a regular old ATA-CD drive
> plug the drive into the ATA connector on the motherboard
> make sure the CD drive jumpers are set for master
> make sure the drive is connected at the cable end
> set boot to CD

Thanks for the suggestions Gerald and Lucas.  I've tried various
incantations and permutations, but have given up the USB install in favour
of Kenneth's practical alternative.  Install from USB stick would be super
convenient, so if anyone does persist and get it to work, please let all
of us here on the list know.

Regards,
David Thacker