[BlueOnyx:01558] Re: Secondary Mail Server

Darren Wolfe darren at intersys-group.com
Thu Jul 2 06:46:28 -05 2009

InterSys Micronics Ltd
Darren Wolfe
 tel: 01253 716800 fax: 01253 782879
e-mail: darren at intersys-group.com
www: http://www.intersys-group.com
291 Clifton Drive South
St. Annes-on-Sea, Lancashire, FY8 1HN
> Subject: [BlueOnyx:01555] Re: Secondary Mail Server
>
> On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 11:23 +0100, Darren Wolfe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > In the update on the 22/03/09, support was added for “secondary mail
> > server”.
> >

> > I assume this is used as a backup mail server that holds all the
> > e-mail in a queue and passes it to the primary once it comes back
> > online.
> >

> > How is it configured, and what do I need to know about it in
> > operation ?
>
> Hi Darren,
>
> just add the domains and the main mailserver fqdn.
>
> And then set up the secondary box with an (higher number/lower
> priority)
> MX-record in DNS.
>
> Regards,

Ok, but what exactly happens ?
I assume it goes like this:

DNS record has two MX records with the Secondary set at lower priority.
The Primary server goes offline.
E-Mail is then delivered to the secondary.
The secondary holds it all in a queue and periodically attempts to deliver it to the Primary but it never gives up trying.
When the Primary comes back online, all the E-Mail is delivered successfully.

Is that correct?

If so then there are a few things i'd like to know.

1. How would you see what E-Mail is in the queue?

2. If the Primary was going to be off for a long time and you needed all that queued E-Mail to be delivered to a different server, how would you go about that ?