[BlueOnyx:01596] Re: tmp full!??!

Ken Marcus - Precision Web Hosting, Inc. kenmarcus at precisionweb.net
Mon Jul 6 12:58:33 -05 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul" <paul at planetcentral.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 04, 2009 5:21 PM
Subject: [BlueOnyx:01585] Re: tmp full!??!

> Ken Marcus - Precision Web Hosting, Inc. wrote:
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>
>>> What is you
>>> cd   /tmp
>>> and then
>>> du -h
>>>
>>> That should show you what is using the space. Then delete it or move it
>>> out
>>> of there.
>>>

>>> ----
>>> Ken Marcus
>>> Ecommerce Web Hosting by
>>> Precision Web Hosting, Inc.
>>> http://www.precisionweb.net
>>>

>> Correction:
>> When I wrote
>> "What is you"
>> I had meant to write
>> "What if you"
>>

> Hi Ken,
>
> Interesting - I now know that it's a database rebuild that i'm doing
> thats definately causing the issue, since. what i need to do is to
> increase the size of /tmp, or at least point /tmp to  - this is because
> of the size of the database, and that it's using all of the space on the
> drive. However it HAS to be done so i can start the board again! :(
>
> I've tried using parted magic, however it doesnt really do whay i;ve
> been trying to do - it only comes up with the drive and bootloader - not
> any drives etc - i presume that it only looks at the overriding drives,
> not anything stored in them!
>
> Thanks
> Paul

Paul

It seems like there is a way to symlink  /tmp to  /home/tmp
That might be the thing to do.

According to an old post by Jes Kasper Klittum in a Jan 11 2007  BQ list
post:
"If your /tmp/partition is too small, then you could unmount /tmp, remove
the /tmp entry from /etc/fstab, then;

mkdir /home/tmp
ln -s /home/tmp /tmp
chmod 1772 /home/tmp

That would put /tmp on your /home partition, which is probably larger
than your /tmp partition.
"

----
Ken Marcus