[BlueOnyx:01655] Re: Slammed with Spammer

Greg Kuhnert greg.kuhnert at theanchoragesylvania.com
Sun Jul 12 13:22:12 -05 2009

*---------- Original Message -----------*
From: Alan Kline <alan at snugglebunny.us>
Sent: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 19:36:31 -0500
Subject: [BlueOnyx:01650] Re: Slammed with Spammer

Chuck Tetlow wrote:
> Sounds like a very handy tool.
>
> I'm safe as far as SSH is concerned, I've got that port and Telnet
> blocked at my front-door router.  But I'm sick of hacking attempts via
> FTP, POP3, and SMTP auth.  And just as our earlier friend - I've had
> many instances of someone guessing passwords (usually stupid stuff
> like username "info" and password "info").

Compass Networks produces two free tools that will help out with the
above. Firstly, we produce a pkg file install of Denyhosts. Instead of
running as a cron task, our package starts Denyhosts as a daemon that is
always watching for SSH hacking bad-guys.

We also produce a totally home-grown solution to monitor for assorted
authentication failures, as well as a few of the common http attacks.
Once detected, the source IP is temporarily blocked for these badguys as
well.

Further details are available at
http://www.compassnetworks.com.au/?page=denyhosts
and
http://www.compassnetworks.com.au/?page=dfix

Regards,

|   / \   Greg Kuhnert, gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au               |
| <  o  > Compass Networks - Pointing you in the right direction      |
|   \ /   Come see us for BlueQuartz / BlueOnyx modules & Support.    |