[BlueOnyx:01713] Logs & file ownership problems

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Wed Jul 15 16:55:32 -05 2009

I reloaded a BX server a few days ago.  There were some problems that we were tired of chasing - decided to reload.  I used cmuExport to back up all sites on the box, mysqldump to get the databases, and backed all that up along with most files to another box.  After reloading BX and updating with YUM, I restored all the sites with cmuImport.  Life seemed good!

But then today, a customer called about not able to run his CAPTCHA script for his "contact us" page.  I started to check the logs to identify the problem - and found that this site isn't logging!  There was nothing in the /var/log/access_log or /var/log/error_log for this site.  And the only thing in the /home/sites/www.domain.com/logs is more than a day old.  Worse - I can monitor all those log files while hitting the website with a browser and nothing shows up in the logs.

I've checked the /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/site# file for this site - and can't find any problems.  So, I'm not sure why it isn't logging.

And while looking around, I found a file ownership problem.  The "log" directory under each site and the log files in it were all owned by a different site!  Yep, this was site2 and the log directory was owned by SITE5-logs.  Another site I just checked is site20 and the log directory is owned by SITE12-logs.

Has anyone experienced these problems before?  Could it be something related to exporting and reimporting those sites with the system rebuild?  And can anyone tell me where to look to see what's keeping this site from logging its Apache activities??

Thanks guys.

Chuck

Woops!  What do you know - a entry has shown up for them in /var/log/httpd/access_log.  But I have no idea what it is:

www.domain.com 88.80.7.248 - - [15/Jul/2009:14:22:33 -0500] "GET http://88.80.7.248/pp/anp.php?a=VURHSR_EFG%5CSF&b=1155&c=b5da HTTP/1.1" 302 326 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"