[BlueOnyx:01715] Re: Logs & file ownership problems

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Jul 15 17:13:28 -05 2009

Hi Chuck,

> There was nothing in the /var/log/access_log or /var/log/error_log for this
> site.

That's the wrong location. :o)

> And the only thing in the /home/sites/www.domain.com/logs is more
> than a day old.

Logging works like this: All recent events go into the logfiles under
/var/log/

During the daily logrotate a cronjob splits the logs and rotates the necessary
bits and pieces into /home/sites/www.domain.com/logs/

So you should have been able to see traffic going to that webpage by checking

/var/log/httpd/access_log
...or...
/var/log/httpd/error_log

> Worse - I can monitor all those log files while hitting
> the website with a browser and nothing shows up in the logs.

You're looking at the wrong files. See above.

> And while looking around, I found a file ownership problem.  The "log"
> directory under each site and the log files in it were all owned by a
> different site!  Yep, this was site2 and the log directory was owned by
> SITE5-logs.  Another site I just checked is site20 and the log directory is
> owned by SITE12-logs.

Yeah, earlier versions of CMU (from a couple of months ago) had the same issue
that the (stoock) BlueQuartz CMU still has:

The GID of SITEx-logs users is often set wrong on cmuImport. The current CMU
of BlueOnyx has that fixed.

However, sites you imported with an older version of CMU still may have the
wrong GID for their logfile users and the logfiles may be owned by the wrong
user.

To fix this (permanently) run the following two scripts from SSH (as "root")
once:

/usr/sausalito/sbin/user_gid_fix.pl
/usr/sausalito/sbin/fix_user_UID_and_GID.pl

That will repair those issues.