[BlueOnyx:01721] Re: Logs & file ownership problems

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Wed Jul 15 18:47:43 -05 2009

Thanks Michael,

> Unless the DNS for that site doesn't point to your server and the traffic is
> going to another box somewhere else.
>
> But that's easy to check: Do an "nslookup www.domain.com" from your end (your
> PC, not the server) and see if it matches the IP that the site has on your
> server.
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber

Your idea spurred a thought.

I knew it wasn't DNS - I control that too.  But it turns out that this company I'm supporting has a new guy in house.  He fancies himself a Cisco person too.  And he somehow got access to the main router.  He made a mistake - and reloaded the router to get rid of the problem.  I hadn't noticed the reload in the router logs today - and didn't know that it had reloaded.  The routing for this site was changed a few days ago, was not saved to permanent memory, and the reload changed the routing for this site back to the old server.

Now, I've got go into the router and put back the temp changes I had in the configuration.  And change all the router passwords so this idiot doesn't gain access again.

And if the company owner doesn't like it - he can find a new Cisco/Linux support engineer.  I'm not going to waste another entire afternoon chasing what appears to be a logging problem when the traffic was going to a different server.

Thanks for the suggestion.  It helped me find the problem.

Chuck