[BlueOnyx:01719] Re: Logs & file ownership problems

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Jul 15 18:00:45 -05 2009

Hi Chuck,

> I was looking in /var/log/httpd at the access_log and error_log.  I just
> missed putting the "httpd" in the entries a little while ago.  But the
> previous statement still stands - I can hit that site and its not logging
> in those access or error log files.
>
> I just tested the logging again.  While I click all over that site in a
> browser - nothing shows up in /var/log/httpd/access_log.  Nothing at all
> for the entire day except that one entry I showed earlier.  Same for the
> error_log - nothing for /home/.sites/143/site2 for today.
>
> Do you know of anything that would stop the logging for one site?  I see
> entries for many other sites - this is the only one I know of that isn't
> loggin.

No, usually everything is logged - unless the service "syslogd" is stopped.
But if you see traffic for other sites hitting /var/log/httpd/access_log, then
there is no reason that a certain site's web traffic doesn't show up.

Unless the DNS for that site doesn't point to your server and the traffic is
going to another box somewhere else.

But that's easy to check: Do an "nslookup www.domain.com" from your end (your
PC, not the server) and see if it matches the IP that the site has on your
server.