[BlueOnyx:01767] Re: The setting returns to an initial value when the server is rebooted.

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Jul 18 02:37:50 -05 2009

Hi Chuck, hi Hideki,

> Tell you what - after you modify the file, use this from the command line
> while in the /etc/ssh directory "chattr +i sshd_config".

I'd be careful with chattr. It's easily set and works fine - sure. But it's
also easily forgotten that you used chattr on that file. And sometime down the
road you (or someone else) pull your hair out because you can't figure out why
even root cannot change that file anymore. ;o)

> That's how I keep the watchdog from changing my custom IPTables
> configuration!  Works every time!

Actually you could simply delete /etc/cron.hourly/log_traffic and your custom
firewall rules won't get overwritten. That's the only thing on BlueOnyx which
ever messes with your firewall rules.