[BlueOnyx:01776] Re: RAID-1 From 3 to 2 drives

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Jul 19 07:05:26 -05 2009

Hi Steve,

> I made the mistake of doing a BO clean install with three drives. I don't
> recall being asked if I wanted a RAID-1 or RAID-0, however.
>
> I would like to keep this new BO server as a two drive Software RAID-1.
>
> How do i rebuild the RAID into a two drive RAID-1, at the command line,
> thus without reinstalling BO

Easiest way is to unplug the 3rd drive and do a reinstall. Once the OS is
installed, plug the third drive back in. That will give you RAID1 over two
disks and you have the third disk that you can format and mount manually for
extra storage.

2nd best option is to reinstall with all three drives connected, but starting
the install with "self" (type self at the CD splash screen), which will launch
into disk druid. That allows you to partition and set up the drives yourself.

Lastly, you could edit /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab, /etc/raidtab and the lvm
configuration to remove the third drive from the RAID1, reformat it and re-
attach it at a separate mountpoint. That can be done without reinstalling (can
even be done remotely), but it involves quite a few steps on the command line.