[BlueOnyx:01820] Re: Second Server Hacked

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sun Jul 26 07:45:23 -05 2009

Steve Davis wrote:
> It was a new BX install, i had some mitigation installed, like dfix
> and denyhosts.
>
> No sites, I believe the need for default security that Michael and
> Greg talked about in other posts is critical to BX success.

Steve,
Can you give us some more information on how you were hacked?   ie:
what, specifically, was compromised?  How was entry gained to your
server?

The best way to prevent a problem like this is to understand the
vulnerability that was exploited.

Interestingly, we have set up dozens of BX systems and hundreds of BQ
boxes and never (finding wood to knock on now) had a single issue like
this.   We've had boxes attacked and hacked due to other reasons (bad
passwords, lax user putting in 777 permissions willy-nilly, exploited
Joomla / OSCommerce / Wordpress / script-du-jour, etc).   Never just a
"new install".   Which leads me to believe there's something else that
we don't know about in your case(s).

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services