[BlueOnyx:01821] Re: Second Server Hacked

Steve Davis steve at zio.com
Sun Jul 26 12:37:39 -05 2009

Chris,

Thats a good point about guessing the password, 12 characters strong.
There were no user accounts.  I have had others inspect the box, with
root access, and they could not find the exploit. Greg Kunhert did
find some web based exploits that I cannot explain, but he mentioned
may or may not be the reason it was hacked.

No idea on the exploit, or how the box has been compromised. This new
box had no domains on it nor any web sites.

There is no log of a logon, but the allow-hosts file had dozens of
illegal ip's.

I am going to rebuild, from start, with a new root password and we
shall see.

Steve