[BlueOnyx:01415] Re: FTP issues

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jun 16 11:54:30 -05 2009

Hi Alan,

> Thanks, Michael! The four "locale" packages were missing, as was the "ui"
> package--which explains much! I reinstalled those, did the restarts that
> you and Chris suggested, and FTP is now right with the world...

Very well.

> Where would I find a list of all of the packages that should be installed
> for BX? Doing a "yum list installed" showed quite a few packages with "el5"
> at the end, and I wonder how many of those should actually be "centos"...

BlueOnyx consists of about 800 RPMs - give and take a few.

>From the top of my head I couldn't give you a 100% accurate list of which RPMs
came from what YUM repository, but if hard pressed I could work that out.

That's actually one of the beauties of YUM. If you have your code "clean" and
your RPMs state correctly which dependencies they require, then you simply do
a "yum install" and it'll fetch whatever dependency is needed from whatever
YUM repository has the most current version.

BlueOnyx contains RPMs that we built ourselves, some from CentOS5 and a few
RPMs required for Tomcat5 come out of the Xapian and JPackage YUM
repositories. Some odds and sods are based on SRPMs out of Dag Wieers
repository. Others are "leftovers" from PKGs that were built for Solarspeed.
So it's quite a mix.

The comps.xml file on the install CD (folder: /i386/repodata/) sheds some
light on it. The RPMs in the "core" section are all (except dovecot) straight
of the CentOS YUM repository.

The RPMs listed in "blueonyx" section of that file are almost all out of the
BlueOnyx YUM repository. Although there are some minor mix ups as there was
never really a need to keep that file clean and tidy. Because as said: YUM (or
Anaconda in case of the CD) takes good care of that anyway.

Oh, one way to find out what came from where (to some degree of accuracy) is
to query the RPM database:

rpm -qa --qf '%{vendor}: %{name}\t%{version}\n' | sort -u

That'll produce a formatted list stating the vendor, the name of the RPM and
the version of the RPM.

If it's from CentOS, the vendor will be "CentOS", if it's from BlueOnyx you'll
see that as vendor.