[BlueOnyx:00758] Re: installer tarball

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Mar 12 18:46:21 -05 2009

Hi Franklin,

> How about an installer for the 64 bit CentOS5 OS ???

No, at the moment there is no 64 bit version of BlueOnyx. I doubt that some
parts of it even compile under a 64bit OS, so it would need a ton of tweaking,
fixing and adjusting. Any volunteers stepping up for that?

Also: We'd need more hardware for compiling and testing the 64bit branch of
the code.

In any case: Having a 64bit branch of the code would quadruple the development
workload, as we can't just check in a fix, compile it and roll out 32bit and
64bit versions of the new RPMs. No, each update would have to be manually
built twice - once for for each architecture - and would need to be tested
twice - once on each architecture - before it could be rolled out.

Even the ISO image building process would be a double effort, as there would
have to be two separately maintained CDs.

Now even if we we had a 32bit and a 64bit branch of BlueOnyx: You'd suddenly
find yourself without third party PKGs for the 64bit version, as those are
only available as 32bit versions.

All in all that 64bit stuff falls into the category "would be nice to have",
but who's gonna do it, who really benefits from it and is it worth the
hassles?

No, at this time I'd rather like to focuss the development on actual
improvements that are immediately visible and from which every user of
BlueOnyx benefits - right out of the box.