[BlueOnyx:00808] Re: CMU version 2.63

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Mar 17 14:50:19 -05 2009

Hi Robert,

> I posted this over the weekend, maybe my cross post was ignored? Is
> there no way to obtain a CMU package compatible with BlueOnyx conversion
> if coming from an old BQ setup with CMU 2.55?

There is a LOT of misinformation regarding CMU floating around. In general all
"suggestions" to downgrade CMU or that you have to get a special version of it
is typically rubbish. Always use the latest CMU that you get from the
developers of your platform. So use the latest BlueOnyx CMU on BlueOnyx and
the latest BlueQuartz CMU on a BlueQuartz. Both are available through the
respective YUM repositories.

You see, the typical migration scenarios are these:

BlueOnyx -> BlueOnyx
BlueQuartz -> BlueOnyx
RaQ550 -> BlueOnyx
RaQ3 or RaQ4 -> BlueOnyx

The CMU that comes with BlueOnyx - or the one that "yum update" on BlueOnyx
provides you with - has all those bases covered. Nothing special about it.

As for CMU version info: The CMU on BlueQuartz may show in the CMU export XML
file that the version number is 2.55. That's not entirely correct. It's really
2.63, but that does NOT matter. As long as the CMU export was done with a CMU
2.26 or newer you WILL be able to cmuImport sucessfully.

> I have a BO VPS setup and trying to cmuImport from a BQ server that has
> CMU 2.55. I see from a quick google that I may need 2.63 or later?

No, the CMU you have on BlueOnyx will do fine.

> [root at vnyxbo backup]# cmuImport -d /home/backup -D
> Reading config file: /etc/cmu/cmuConfig.xml
> LogFile location is /home/cmu/cmu.log
> Enter admin's password:
> Password ok.
> <snip>
> ===> Checking Virtual Sites <===
> ===> Checking Users <===
> <snip>
> Creating virtual site:
> ERROR: Vsite  was not created properly
> Creating virtual site: example.com
> ERROR: Vsite example.com was not created properly
> <snip>

The problem is somewhere else or something else. Please let us know more about
your setup. You mention that your BlueOnyx runs inside a VPS. What kind of VPS
is that?

If it's a OpenVZ based VPS (Aventurin{e} or Virtuozzo), then the problem is
most likely the following:

Inside such a VPS's you can only use IP addresses that were beforehand granted
to that VPS for usage. Importing a site with an IP-address NOT already
assigned to the VPS in question will therefore fail.

So if your VPS is using the IP 192.168.1.1 as only IP and you're importing
sites that have other IP's than that, the import will not go through.

Two work arounds exist:

1.) Assign all IP's that you need to the VPS in question beforehand.

OR:

2.) Import all sites with CMU and use CMU to assign them the same IP that the
VPS is already using.

Example:

	cmuImport -i 192.168.1.1 -d /home/import/

Switch "-i" allows you to specify the IP that the sites should be imported
onto.