[BlueOnyx:00819] Re: Updates to boot choices?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Mar 18 13:59:29 -05 2009

Hi Tony,

> I was wrong.  The BX iso will not see the drive.    CentOS, does.
>
> I wonder what CentOS sees that the BX iso does not?

Yeah, that old story. :o(

It's like this: During CD installation of the OS a mini Linux (1st stage
installer) is loaded that performs the installation. That mini Linux contains
a kernel and drivers that are supposed to cover as much hardware as possible.
However, it may not really cover all of it. We already updated the 1st stage
installer some weeks ago to a much more recent version to address some
compatability issues and to improve support for some of the more exotic or
newer SATA controllers. That's about as good as we can get it at the moment.

However, CentOS-5.3 will be out soon and that will mean a spanking new install
ISO as well, with newer 1st stage installer. Maybe we can cover your hardware
by then. Until then, please try the tar-ball installer instead.

> Also, I still have that server for you.

Ah yes. Many thanks! Will contact you offlist about that.