[BlueOnyx:00840] Re: New ISO

BlueOnyx List blueonyxlist at stretchedout.com
Sat Mar 21 08:54:17 -05 2009

On Mar 21, 2009, at 12:20 am, Michael Stauber wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
>> Just downloaded the latest ISO today and I'm installing it on a
>> server
>> I have here:
>>
>> Dual Quad 2.8GHz
>> 4GB
>> 2x250GB
>>
>> BlueOnyx-5.2-20090318
>>
>> and I'm running into a very strange problem. The installer is taking
>> FOREVER to finish! It seems that the formatting stage is running
>> really slowly. When I had this problem earlier today, I stopped it,
>> installed BlueQuartz just to check and found that it took no time at
>> all. Back to BlueOnyx and the really long install time. Is it
>> possible
>> that it is doing a low level format on the drive?
>
> Nope, it just partitions and formats the drives normally. In that
> there is no
> difference between BlueQuartz and BlueOnyx. Sounds like a HD
> controller issue,
> where the disk controller isn't used in the most optimal fashion
> during the
> formatting. At that point the installer is still using the kernel
> drivers
> provided by the 1st stage installer.
>
> Could be worth it to sit it out and see if the slowness is gone once
> the OS is
> installed and it boots using the CentOS 5 kernel.

Thanks Michael, It ended up finishing up around 5am this morning...
booting was... well... sluggish. I must've gotten the drive config
wrong or something. Decided to try something different on this server
this morning (Untangle Firewall) and everything is fine.

Thank you for your quick answer though...

While I've got you, I signed up for the BlueOnyx development list, but
haven't received a confirmation. Is there something else I need to do?

Greg