[BlueOnyx:00839] Re: New ISO

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Mar 20 23:20:03 -05 2009

Hi Greg,

> Just downloaded the latest ISO today and I'm installing it on a server
> I have here:
>
> Dual Quad 2.8GHz
> 4GB
> 2x250GB
>
> BlueOnyx-5.2-20090318
>
> and I'm running into a very strange problem. The installer is taking
> FOREVER to finish! It seems that the formatting stage is running
> really slowly. When I had this problem earlier today, I stopped it,
> installed BlueQuartz just to check and found that it took no time at
> all. Back to BlueOnyx and the really long install time. Is it possible
> that it is doing a low level format on the drive?

Nope, it just partitions and formats the drives normally. In that there is no
difference between BlueQuartz and BlueOnyx. Sounds like a HD controller issue,
where the disk controller isn't used in the most optimal fashion during the
formatting. At that point the installer is still using the kernel drivers
provided by the 1st stage installer.

Could be worth it to sit it out and see if the slowness is gone once the OS is
installed and it boots using the CentOS 5 kernel.