[BlueOnyx:00934] Re: Sirius XM Satellite Radio needs help

Larry Smith lesmith at ecsis.net
Tue Mar 31 22:15:13 -05 2009

On Tue March 31 2009 22:02, Doug Harvey wrote:
> It's been my experience that I can use a password like: D31158 and the
> system reports that it is a strong password, but if I use a password
> like:dd%31158&deutft, the system reports that the password is to weak.
>
> Just a thought, but personally, I don't see that as a good measure to
> instill strong passwords.

Try the second password with a capital (eg Dd%31158&duetft),
believe one of the primary tests is for something "upper" case.

I agree that "more" secure passwords is a "pain", but all it takes is sitting
and watching a server for a day or so and monitoring the almost constant
pop3, ssh, ftp dictionary probes to realize it is a "necessary" evil.  Seat
belts are a pain and motorcycle helmets even more so; but most people
wear them, even in states without the laws because it is recognized that
they save lives - stronger passwords save servers...

Work in a "gov" environment for a while with extra strong password checks
and also have to change it every 30 to 60 days (and not repeat within a
year)....

--
Larry Smith
lesmith at ecsis.net