[BlueOnyx:02374] Re: RAM

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Sep 14 08:17:09 -05 2009

Hi Germano,

> I just acquired a Dell Poweredge 850 with a P4 3 GHz HT dual/GB SATA2
>
> At the moment it has 4x 512mb RAM (2 GB) but I was wondering if I max out
> the ram, i.e. I put 4 x 2 GB (8 GB) would I get a boost in performance. At
> the moment I will have a few websites which would be loaded some static and
> a few dynamic websites. Later on with a few projects we will be adding some
> video streaming 'n' whatnot.

I agree with Chris. Beyond a certain point RAM isn't that important for a
stand alone server - unless you run multiple virtual private servers.

For BlueOnyx 1GB of RAM typically is considered "adequate", but bordering on
"short". 2GB is usually enough for most cases and 4GB would be plenty.

Going beyond 4GB may only be required for some really heavy duty stuff -
otherwise you will most likely not notice any performance gain.