[BlueOnyx:02389] Re: No main menu after big YUM Update

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Sep 14 17:54:07 -05 2009

Hi David,

> Any ideas on what I can do to get my web GUI back?

Do you have any third party software installed on that box?

I've seen this problem before and it can happen for reasons which are closely
related:

Upon logging in to the GUI the GUI determines your access rights. Based on
that it'll present you with only those menus that you're privileged to see.
Partially that's done with PHP scripts and partially (for presentation
purpose) with JavaScript.

The problem can happen if one or more of the following problems are present:

- There are errors in GUI menu XML files
- There are foreign JavaScript files in GUI indexed directories
- There are incorrect GUI "capability" files present

That covers the server side. On the client side JavaScript problems in the
browser can also cause it (NoScript plugin for Firefox is one example).

Your yum output showed no errors, so it's hard to say how this happened.

Right now I have only one set of RPMs in suspicion which could have caused
this:

base-console-*

I only saw it causing the error once so far and was unable to replicate it.

Please login by SSH as "admin" and "su -" to gain root access. Then run this
commands:

chmod 644 /usr/sausalito/ui/web/base/console
chmod 644 /usr/sausalito/ui/web/base/console/*.php
chmod 644 /usr/sausalito/ui/web/base/console/.logtail
chmod 644 /usr/sausalito/ui/menu/base/console/
chmod 644 /usr/sausalito/ui/menu/base/console/*.xml

Do not use -R to chown the directories recursively, as
/usr/sausalito/ui/web/base/console/.logtail has files in it that NEED
different permissions.

Then run "/etc/init.d/admserv restart" and check if you can login to the GUI
again.