[BlueOnyx:02449] Re: Newby Help

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Sep 18 19:41:03 -05 2009

T. K. Hughes wrote:
> If I remember right,  The new iso does not auto start.  You have to do
> something for it to load.  Download a older iso & update when you get it
> config.  Thats all I can come up with at this time.

Nope.   There is no BlueQuartz or BlueOnyx CD that will load on a
Cobalt, since Cobalts require a proprietary OSRCD load.

The closest you can get is to run Strongbolt, which is kind of a
re-packaged BlueQuartz.   We used to have a couple customers on
Strongbolt, and for what it is it works pretty well.   The problem
you'll keep coming back to is that the hardware is just weak.

But if you only have a couple of static sites, or maybe just some email,
it might work for you.
http://www.osoffice.co.uk/products/strongbolt.html

My personal take is that for the US$65 or so that Strongbolt will cost,
you're halfway to a far better performing server.   For instance,
through one of our vendors we're picking up HP DL360 G3's, with Dual
3.06ghz Xeon / 2gb / 2x 36gb in hardware RAID for $125/ea.    Then
BlueOnyx (with the latest CentOS 5 kernel) is free.

Trying to squeeze anything out of an old Cobalt these days is just not
cost effective!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services