[BlueOnyx:05251] Re: new hardware

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Fri Aug 20 00:34:38 -05 2010

Lew's got a point.

I picked up a used Dell 2650 rackmount with dual Xeon 3.06, 5x72Gig SCSI with an internal RAID card for RAID5, and 6Gig RAM.  Less that $200 and its been running flawlessly for almost two years!

Then a friend gave me a used HP DL380 rackmount with dual Xeon 3.06, about 100Gig SCSI RAID5, and 2Gig RAM.  BX really SCREAMS on it.  And all he asked was I let him host a couple sites on it.  What a deal.

Used equipment really takes off with BX.  While companies are getting rid of slightly older servers (REAL servers) because Winblows is too slow on them - BX really takes advantage of that hardware.  You can host hundreds of sites on a dual Xeon server without bogging it down.  And you can get servers like that dirt cheap!

By the way - I moved to that dual Xeon HP from a P3-900Meg with 384Meg running BQ.  Talk about a difference!

Chuck