[BlueOnyx:05252] Secondary mail server

Gary Sedgwick gary at symbion.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 04:29:31 -05 2010

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could easily provide an answer to the following
question without me having to configure a test server to try things out...

If two BlueOnyx environments are set up with the same domains/vsites and
users (but different IPs obviously), but I configure the Secondary Mail
Server in one to point to the other, will that take precedence over the
usual mailbox delivery on that particular server (in the case the other
one is down)?  I'm thinking about loading two servers from the same
cmuexport, and using them for load balanced web serving, but just having
mail delivered to one box with the other available as a backup mail server
- I'm guessing sendmail will end up with configuration for the vsites as
well as the secondary mail server, but in the event of the main server
failing will mail queue up waiting to be delivered to the main server (as
I'm hoping), or will it be delivered to the redundant mailboxes on the
secondary server?

Thanks,

Gary