[BlueOnyx:03239] Re: Happy new year and happy birthday BlueOnyx (+attn: all SpamAssassin users)

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Jan 4 15:53:59 -05 2010

Michael Stauber wrote:
> A year ago BlueOnyx was released and we've come quite a long way since then.
> We can't be really sure how many people are using it, but our (inaccurate)
> tallies show that around 2500 BlueOnyx servers frequently use our YUM
> repositories for updates. Which isn't a bad start.

A tidbit I though that I would share with the list.   Our web hosting
business has been relatively stagnant for the past few years as we have
really been focusing on our dedicated servers and colocation business.
So we have not seen much growth.  However, we have been making steady
changes to our offerings and platforms.

I mentioned in a reply to another topic today that we had been moving
systems around and I looked to my notes.  A year ago, we had 17 Plesk
licenses.   Today we have 7.  Some of those customers have been migrated
across other Plesk platforms, but the remaining have largely been
migrated across to BlueOnyx.   We were not able to move those customers
to BlueQuartz for various reasons, but the maturity and feature-set of
BlueOnyx has allowed us to make moves in that direction.

With the decreasing level of support and increasing level of arrogance
at Parallels (maker of Plesk) these days, I'm optimistic about the
future of moving further towards BlueOnyx.   There are, of course, still
some features missing that will ideally allow this to happen, but I've
seen steady progress, so I'll keep watching for that day to come!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services