[BlueOnyx:03240] Re: php error

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jan 4 22:10:05 -05 2010

Hi Darrell,

> > Are you saying that with SafeModeGid you cannot include site5 in the
> > site4 group and expect SafeModeGid to recognize this?  Is this an
> > open_basedir issue or a SafeMode issue or both?
> >
> > I added site4 to site5's group and visa versa without success.

You're trying to shove a square pig through a round hole.

You can't turn on all the security features and then expect your scripts to do
something totally unsafe. You either have to keep the security features as
they are and have to live with the restrictions they impose, or you have tune
them down and have to live with the fact that you're opening the floodgates
and expose yourself to dangers.

Open_basedir: This directly restricts the paths to which a site's scripts have
access to. Typically "open_basedir" for a site is set to something like this:

/tmp/:/var/lib/php/session/:/home/.sites/33/site5/

So scripts of that site5 can access anything within (and under):

/tmp/
/var/lib/php/session/
/home/.sites/33/site5/

But: Those scripts from site 5 cannot access the webspace of any other site,
regardless of how you configure safe_mode.

"safe_mode" (and "safe_mode_gid") are other - independent - means which make
sure that a script owned by one UID (or GID) cannot include, access or run
scripts that are owned by someone else.

Now if you really want to tear a giant security hole into your system, then
you can of course do that. All you need to do is this:

safe_mode: Off
safe_mode_gid: Off
register_globals: On
open_basedir: Simply add ":/" to the end of it, which allows scripts of that
site access to "/" and anything thereunder.

The "open_basedir" line for our site5 then would look like this:

/tmp/:/var/lib/php/session/:/home/.sites/33/site5/:/

So yes: It's possible to do so. But not really recommended.