[BlueOnyx:03309] Suggestions for trashed filesystem?

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Jan 11 16:36:36 -05 2010

Here's the scenario:

- Customer system running BlueQuartz
- Customer has never backed up
- Server will not boot - "everything" results in segmentation fault
- Can bring system up via Linux Rescue, mount the LVM, even chroot it
- Many commands just result in seg-fault, or other errors.

Ideally, I'd love to cmuExport then load the Export into a new box.
That would be easy.   But whenever I run cmuExport, cmu starts, creates
its new directory, then says error "chmod: too few arguments" and quits.

Right now I'm just taking everything in /home/sites/ and throwing it to
another system real quick.   As best I can tell I'm going to have to
manually create every site, every DNS entry, every account and alias and
then manually copy everything back in on a new system.

But as long as I have to wait for everything to copy across to the
backup system anyhow, I wonder if anybody has any other suggestions?

And yes, the customer WILL be taking backups with raqbackup.sh from now
on.   It's so silly not to.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services