[BlueOnyx:03318] Suggestions for trashed filesystem?

John Sikes jsikes at sikesland.com
Tue Jan 12 06:13:10 -05 2010

Here's the scenario:

- Customer system running BlueQuartz
- Customer has never backed up
- Server will not boot - "everything" results in segmentation fault
- Can bring system up via Linux Rescue, mount the LVM, even chroot it
- Many commands just result in seg-fault, or other errors.

Ideally, I'd love to cmuExport then load the Export into a new box.
That would be easy.   But whenever I run cmuExport, cmu starts, creates
its new directory, then says error "chmod: too few arguments" and quits.

Right now I'm just taking everything in /home/sites/ and throwing it to
another system real quick.   As best I can tell I'm going to have to
manually create every site, every DNS entry, every account and alias and
then manually copy everything back in on a new system.

But as long as I have to wait for everything to copy across to the
backup system anyhow, I wonder if anybody has any other suggestions?

And yes, the customer WILL be taking backups with raqbackup.sh from now
on.   It's so silly not to.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services

I feel for you Chris.
As you are aware, I went through this last month with a BQ box
myself.  To make things worse, I did have backups running, but didn't
check them to see that the backup didn't include the sites
themselves.  Had my MSQL stuff, users, groups, but not sites, so it
was no good.  Let that be a hard lesson to everyone to not assume that
your backups are good.  Test them.

I did exactly as you listed.  It was a pain, but it worked.  Only
thing that ends up missing is the user passwords.  When you re-create
everything, the users need to put back in their passwords.

Best wishes.

John