[BlueOnyx:03329] Re: .htaccess again

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Jan 13 01:42:12 -05 2010

Hi Greg,

> From what I can see at the moment, mod_authnz_external appears to be
> unreliable .... Michael: Have you considered going back to
> mod_auth_external instead? I am considering this as a potential solution
> for a number of people at the moment.... but I'd prefer to stay with the
> main blueonyx architecture if possible.

Afaik mod_auth_external works for Apache 2.0, but not 2.2. That's what
mod_authnz_external is for. Am still puzzled why it works on some boxes and
not on others. It's probably just a simple permission hunch that got broken
during one YUM update or other.

Am still looking into this.

On a box where I needed .htaccess directory protection with passwords myself
I'm now using "mod_auth_mysql" (get it through YUM) on the interim.

Once installed, check /usr/share/doc/mod_auth_mysql-3.0.0/CONFIGURE for usage
examples and how your MySQL table has to look. You can have this up and
running in 10-15 minutes of fiddling if need be.