[BlueOnyx:04947] Re: Secure FTP options with BX?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jul 5 12:46:14 -05 2010

Hi Jeff,

> To me it's my biggest BX gripe - lack of secure file transfer for users
> built in.

Really? Because that has been implemented in BlueOnyx since very early on.

Our ProFTP supports both "Auth SSL" and "Auth TLS", so you can securely
connect to FTP. The only downside is that it uses a self signed SSL
certificate, so you get the certificate warning every time you connect, but
other than that it works just fine.

We didn't enable SFTP (which is another way of securely connecting to FTP),
because that would really be pretty complicated in our given setup and would
require quite a few architectural changes.

> The new suPHP is the answer is our CMS nightmares, just as long as samba
> can force the permissions, at the moment it's not behaving.

Did you try to re-configure your Samaba to use "force user" and/or "force
group"? With that you can force it to write created files to a certain UID or
GID as specified in smb.conf.