[BlueOnyx:05088] Overriding Indexes in web root

James james at slor.net
Thu Jul 22 10:51:04 -05 2010

I'm sure I'm just overlooking something here, but it's driving me nuts.  Is
there a configuration setting somewhere that is specifically preventing
Indexes from working in the root web directory for any site?  I have my
server set up so that Indexes can be overridden, and I put an .htaccess
entry of "Options +Indexes".  When I go to http://www.mysite.com/, I get a
403 trying to access and a log entry of "Directory index forbidden by
Options directive: /home/.sites/XX/siteX/web/".  However, if I go to
http://www.mysite.com/subdir/, I get the index just fine (without having any
.htaccess in subdir).  So, it's definitely picking up the override in the
main .htaccess, but it's not applying it until you're down at least one
level in the directory structure.  This same effect is present even if the
server-wide web default is set to turn on Indexes.

Anyone got a quick pointer what I need to tune to make this happen?  I have
one domain I just moved from another server that I actually need Indexes
turned on for in the root.

thanks!
James