[BlueOnyx:04747] Re: Login Error shuts down browser

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Jun 13 13:20:29 -05 2010

Hi Donald,

> I am consistently finding that logging into the BO GUI as Admin, generates
> an error that shuts down my browser on almost every 2nd or third log in
> attempt.
>
> I am currently using Firefox browser v3.6.3.
>
> Anyone else experience this?
> Is there a resolution?

Yeah, this problem has been around since Firefox 3.0, where it happened
sporadically. But with 3.5 and 3.6 it appears to have gotten worse. It also
seems to depend on the OS, as I'm getting mixed results between Windows and
Linux.

Example:

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit, Firefox 3.6.3: Can't get it to crash. With 3.5.9
it crashed maybe once every 10-12 logins, but since 3.6.2 and with 3.6.3 it
seems to be working fine again.

Fedora Core 12, 64-bit, Firefox 3.5.9 (x86_64): Crashes every 4-6 logins,
especially if multiple tabs and/or multiple browser windows are open.

I spent considerable time trying to debug it because I primarily work on FC12
and it drives me nut as well. On a typical workday I usually used to have 4-5
Firefox instances open with 8-12 tabs each. So each FF crash has a heavy
impact on my work-flow as it not only takes a few minutes to fire everything
back up again, but also because the load average of the box shoots through the
roof shortly before the crash.

So far I have no idea what's causing the crashes, but it is somewhat certain
that the heavy usage of JavaScripts in the GUI plays a role and sometimes lets
Firefox take a dive.

I also tried Safari on Windows and got no crahses on login. Eventually
switched to "Arora" (Safari clone for Linux) on FC12 and haven't gotten a
single crash in days either. So that's what I'm using now and it's been clear
sailing since then. Arora also doesn't seem to have the tendency to leak
memory as crazy as Firefox does, so even after days of running it w/o
restarting it still behaves nicely.

So as of now I don't have a solution for this. While there may be stuff in the
BlueOnyx GUI that makes these crashes more likely: As it only affects certain
Firefox versions for certain OS's it's not quite something that we can easily
fix.