[BlueOnyx:04404] Re: sending on port 2525...

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed May 5 15:43:12 -05 2010

Scott wrote:
> Local ISPs block both 25 and 587.
>
> Most customers on this se3rver already use 2525 which was a legacy
> port from an old hosting server.

What a bizarre ISP that would block 587!   That would be sort of like
blocking 443 or something equally strange.   Blocking port 587 would be
a violation of RFC4409:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4409

For an ISP to block 587 is so utterly strange that I've never seen it.
And I've seen a lot of strange things!

However, if you want to use some sort of other port to pick up smtp,
then you'll need to hack your sendmail.mc to do so.  You'll find some
tips on the Sendmail site here:
http://www.sendmail.org/m4/tweaking_config.html

Again, I think I'm not alone in strongly suggesting you stay with
standards.  But sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do,
especially if your faced with rogue providers who don't know what
they're doing.
--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services