[BlueOnyx:04490] Re: PCI scans -trying again without the report

Jeff Folk jefffolk at mac.com
Sat May 15 10:15:57 -05 2010

I never did see the report. Are the findings a result of base software
on the server, or vulnerable scripts on the customer's site. If the
later, shouldn't the customer be responsible for compliance? If you
created the website, well, then I guess it would be you.

As in the case of bind, did you supply the complete version and
release/patch level for your software? Having managed a data center
for a bank, and dealt with SOX auditors and federal/state examiners, I
kept a "living" document continually updated with this information.
Auditors are basically uninformed about doing this stuff. They just
make you prove how you adhere to the letter of the policy. Always
answer a question completely, but don't offer anything additional. You
don't want to open any doors for additional questions.

As PCI compliance goes... People tend to think that doing the
processing software themselves is cost efficient... I disagree.
Outsourcing this makes a LOT of sense these days. DO NOT save card
numbers, and send the shopping cart to the processor for check out.
Poof, compliance challenges are gone.

Post a link to the report, I'll be happy to make a recommendation...
But don't be surprised if I answer that you should outsource some
aspect.

Regards;
Jeff