[BlueOnyx:04500] Re: many thanks

Jeff Folk jefffolk at mac.com
Sat May 15 15:59:17 -05 2010

On May 15, 2010, at 2:17 PM, webmaster wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Many thanks for your explanations and suggestions.

Glad I could help.

> This is what happens when someone with an agriculture degree ends up
> being a web host.

At least you have your degree... I quit 12 hours short of a double
bachelors in Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering. And please
don't take anything I said as an insult to your intelligence,
qualifications, or abilities. Just trying to voice my opinion of the
PCI process as being complicated, difficult and a royal PITA.

> Much of what you mentioned below I totally understand and can, and
> have done but......  a big concern of mine in breaking the BX GUI.

As I said, generally no need to manually patch or install anything.
Everything is taken care of by RedHat and quickly makes it downstream.
Not that you don't have to document these things to explain to an
auditor.

> I am afraid I will break something if I do updates via the command
> line or webmin.  Yes webmin.
> I use webmin for lots of stuff.
> Never anything that will break the GUI though.
> Mostly monitoring processes and such.
> Really get rid of it?

Webmin is not evil, but as Doug aptly said, more open ports IS evil in
the eyes of a PCI scan. The least it does is give you more software to
prove you are compliant. Good luck with everything!

Jeff