[BlueOnyx:04553] Re: What kernel should I be running?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue May 18 20:28:51 -05 2010

Hi Tjerk,

> Some hardware info:
> Processors
>   8
>   Model
>   Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5520 @ 2.27GHz
>   CPU Speed
>   1.6 GHz
>   Cache Size
>   8.00 MB
> 8 GB Memory
>
> Why is each core showing just 1,6 GHz?
> I compared it to same processor on Aventurine and there every core is
> running at 2,27 Ghz.
> This is the kernel I installed (to support my 8GB memory):
> Kernel Version
>   2.6.18-164.11.1.el5PAE (SMP)
>
> Aventurine is running .ent kernel. Should I install another kernel to get
> full CPU speed?

The kernel does not affect CPU speed. The CPU speed is determined by the FSB
speed and multipliers which are set in the BIOS of your motherboard. Most
modern BIOS's automatically detect the CPU and run it at optimal settings.

If yours doesn't, this could have three causes:

1.) The BIOS was manually configured to run the CPU at lower speeds. To check
this, take a look at your CPU related settings in the BIOS, or at the worst
reset your BIOS to defaults and reboot again.

2.) The BIOS is unable to recognize the exact model and make of your CPU and
runs it with wrong settings. In that case a BIOS upgrade may help.

3.) A CPU fan or system fan failure prompted the BIOS to lower the speed of
the CPU to prevent thermal damage.