[BlueOnyx:04659] Re: CMU doesn't restore subdomains

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue May 25 08:34:35 -05 2010

Hi Maxim Dolgikh,

> I have the same problem when importing sites:
> "
> sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
> sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
> sh: -c: line 0: `echo -n "ScanIn: ") as a HASH ref while "strict refs"
> in use at /usr/cmu/perl/Archive/Tar.pm line 624.'
> "
>
> i also tried restoring one at once, but still have this
> problem. Were you able to solve this? Can you please let me know how.

Yeah, the problem there is as follows:

During a CMU-Import CMU needs to create the site and users first. So it reads
the associated XML files to gather information about the site name, enabled
features, usernames and so on. It also reads the disk quota for sites and
users from the XML files and creates the site accordingly.

Once that's done it imports the tarballs and tries to extract them into the
respective site and user folders.

Now sometimes (expecially on BlueQuartz - to a much lesser extend on BlueOnyx)
the quota information on the *old* box (where you created the export) was
wrong. Or the site (or users of it) were already over quota.

When CMU then tries to extract a 200MB tarball with user data and the user has
only 20MB disk space allowed, CMU will barf and throw the error you've
reported.

Work arounds:

Before you create a CMU-Export, make sure that no sites and users are over
quota.

If that wasn't done, or if it's already too late for that, import all sites
and users as usual, but note on which sites that failed. Skip them for now. If
a site was partially created, delete it from the GUI.

Then import only the failed sites with something like this:

cmuImport -c -n "www.site.com" -d /importdirectory

The "-c" switch will import the site and user structure from the XML file, but
will not extract any tarballs. You then need to manually extract the tarballs
into the right directories.

Another alternative is to edit the user or site quota in the XML files prior
to importing.

Long term wise we'll revise CMU a little to prevent all this. We'll try to
import as "root", which effectively gives the site and users unlimited disk
quota during the import. Only after the files have been extracted we'll chown
them back to the right UID and GID. That's how it should have been done to
begin with <sigh>.