[BlueOnyx:04680] SAPI Support in BO

John Sikes jsikes at sikesland.com
Sat May 29 22:53:27 -05 2010

Off the wall question.
I have a customer that created a PHP website that uses a text area and
he uses Dragon Dictate to populate that field.  This works except for
the ability to use the programs correction functions.

This relies on something called Select & Say.  He posted a question to
one of the Dragon help lists and was told "Unfortunately, the
developers who designed your HTML application chose to ignore standard
SAPI (Microsoft speech application program interface) coding, which
unfortunately is a fairly common practice."  He is looking to me for
advise, but I unfamiliar with this standard.

I researched SAPI but appears to be for local applications, not web
apps.  I see that there are SAPI modules available for PHP but has
anyone tried them in BO?

Anyone have any experience with making fully "select and say"
compatible web applications on BO, or have any suggestions I can pass
to my customer?

Dragon support also told him "Contact the developers to see if they
are receptive to this recommendation because eventually every
application will need to be SAPI compliant in order to be
competitive."  He is the developer, but they are pointing that since
this is not a windows box...... that is what is causing his problems
and he should switch to a Windows provider.  Yuck

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

believed to be clean.