[BlueOnyx:04681] Re: SAPI Support in BO

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat May 29 23:49:58 -05 2010

Hi John,

> This relies on something called Select & Say.  He posted a question to
> one of the Dragon help lists and was told "Unfortunately, the
> developers who designed your HTML application chose to ignore standard
> SAPI (Microsoft speech application program interface) coding, which
> unfortunately is a fairly common practice."  He is looking to me for
> advise, but I unfamiliar with this standard.
>
> I researched SAPI but appears to be for local applications, not web
> apps.

I may not be understanding the scope of the problem entirely, so let me ask
this first:

The client opens up his browser, points it to a CMS hosted on your server. On
that page is an input form into which one usually would type the text of the
webpage, right?

But instead of typing he uses "Select & Say" (whatever that is), which
translates his spokend words into text that appears in the text input field on
the webpage. As far as I understand this works so far, but not the correcting
function?

If I understood the problem correctly, then it is safe to say that this is not
a BlueOnyx issue. I would even doubt that it may be a problem with said CMS.
The server, PHP or even the CMS doesn't need to be SAPI compliant for this to
work. In fact nothing on the server needs to be SAPI compliant for this. It's
rather a problem with the speech to text software which apparently is unable
to correct stuff in said input textbox on that web form.

> Dragon support also told him "Contact the developers to see if they
> are receptive to this recommendation because eventually every
> application will need to be SAPI compliant in order to be
> competitive."

Don't get me wrong, John: I'm not making fun of you here, but I can't stop
laughing about this quote. It's like telling the British that they have to
adapt the Euro in order to remain competitive. ;o)

/me mubles: "slash sbin slash shutdown minus h now ... Aaah, wrong window!
Nooo!"

Sorry, but I can't see how BlueOnyx would benefit from a SAPI interface so
that you can voice communicate with it in order for it to do anything. Sure:
We're all yelling at our servers sometime, but it ain't really helping. :o)