[BlueOnyx:05748] Re: 550 User unknown when sent to alias

Bryan Parker bparker at sidusgroup.com
Tue Nov 9 18:57:14 -05 2010

On 11/9/2010 5:16 PM, Chuck Tetlow wrote:
> Yea,
>
> I've seen that exact behavior, when we migrated from more than 10
> Bluequartz servers to three Blueonyx servers.
>
> After using cmuImport to get all the sites on the new box - I made it
> a habit to use these commands as root from the command line:
> service sendmail stop
> newaliases
> service sendmail start
>
> Sometimes the CMU utility does not correctly rerun the alias build
> program (newaliases) - and they are not applied.  Remaking the alias
> tables with the "newaliases" command and restarting sendmail to fixed
> the problem every time for me.
>

> Chuck

> > I have an issue with a server recently migrated from Blue Quartz to
> Blue
> > Onyx using the CMU tool,
> > and I can't quite figure it out.
> >
> > When an email gets sent to an alias, it is bounced back with 550 User
> > unknown,
> > but when sent to a non-aliased address (original user), the mail goes
> > through.
> > The /etc/mail/virtusertable and virtusertable.db files are being
> updated
> > with the aliases when added through the GUI.
> >
> > Not sure if this makes any difference, but I applied the following
> > change to accomodate the MX records for this particular server:
> > http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4#4.5
> >
> > Has anyone seen this behavior before?
> >
> > Please let me know what additional information may be needed.
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Bryan Parker

I was so hoping your solution would work, but it did not.
The /etc/mail/aliases file seems to only contain system aliases (such as
root, nobody, sshd, postmaster), but not any of the aliases pertaining
to Blue Onyx, even after running newaliases.

I've brought up the old system that we migrated from (Blue Quartz) on a
different IP to compare files, and it looks like that /etc/mail/aliases
file is the same way, but somehow the aliases work fine on that system.

When I add an alias in the old system, the only files I see that unique
alias get added to are /etc/mail/virtusertable.db and
/etc/mail/virtusertable, just like on the new system.
Except on the new system, it doesn't work. Argh.

--
Best regards,
Bryan Parker

AlwaysOnline.net/RaqShaq.com - Technical Support
http://support.alwaysonline.net
http://support.raqshaq.com
Sidus Group, LLC