[BlueOnyx:05767] Re: Automated installs of CMS's

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Nov 10 18:49:39 -05 2010

Darrell D. Mobley wrote:
> Greg, my experience has been that a new client doesn't want to look at the
> WHAM list and write the admin back to purchase X module for WHAM, install it
> and then allow them to install the program.  They want to order an account,
> have it set up and then make their selections.  WHAM requires either the
> system operator purchase all the modules in advance or wait until the system
> operator can.

That is generally true based on my experience as well.  Perhaps it would
be helpful if there were a "bundle" of all available applications so
that it wouldn't be necessary to select individual packages.

Interestingly, WHAM's model seems to be the reverse of similar packages
on other platforms (ie: Fantastico, Softaculous on Cpanel or
ApplicationVault on Plesk) in that when you purchase (or subscribe to)
the installer, you automatically get a large selection of software to go
along with it.   For instance, with Plesk's ApplicationVault, once you
purchase the software, you have hundreds of applications available.
(We've culled our list to "only" 176 of them for our customers).

I don't mean to suggest that the WHAM model is the wrong way to go.  But
I do sympathize with Darrell's point and wonder if there might be an
easier/better way to get applications in the hands of those who would
like to have them.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services