[BlueOnyx:05822] Re: FTP Problems

Patrick Koehne patrick at koehne-net.de
Sun Nov 14 02:24:39 -05 2010

Hi,

This is quite ok and exactly the problem with FTP since
connection-orientated firewalls:
FTP ist a bidirectional protocol. Most other protocols start a connection
and everything is transmitted within the session initiated from the client.
Therefore the FW can track that connection very easy and one just need the
outbound rule in a FW configuration. But FTP also builds up a second
connection back from the server to the client. This is therefore not within
the first connection from the client to the server. So, some firewalls can
handle that because they inspect the outgoing packets: within the packets
the expected ports are declared so it is possible to build an incoming rule
automaticly for the time of the connection. Some firewalls can't do that and
therefore you need the incoming rule, too.

Visualized it looks like that:

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:AktivesFTP.png&filetimestamp
=20070118150326

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html