[BlueOnyx:05824] Re: FTP Problems

Jeff Jones jeffrhysjones at mac.com
Sun Nov 14 03:33:43 -05 2010

Spot on Patrick!

I've sent up a number of posts to this list recently about using the ProFTP module 'mod_sftp' for secure communication with ProFTP. As this module enables ProFTP to talk SSH - only one TCP port is used, and firewalling issues like this go away.

Unfortunately I think many people on the list had a hard time understanding that this module was nothing to do with the existing SHH / OpenSSL service, and assumed that by hooking ProFTP up with mod_sftp you would give users shell & ability to list the entire filesystem, which is totally not the case.

Had BX ProFTP been using mod_sftp in this instance, there would not have been a problem.

FTP is the bane of the firewall admins life, people running more powerful firewalls like PFSense, Monowall will know this. Actually I seem to remembr they built an FTP proxy service into PF Sense in order to try get round these issues, but this can create new issues.

Oh well!!!

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone