[BlueOnyx:05845] Re: BlueOnyx on 2010 model Mac Mini

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Nov 15 16:51:29 -05 2010

Hi Ernie,

> I am trying to install BlueOnlx on the current 2010 version of the Mac Mini
> for a couple of reasons, firstly it is commodity hardware that I can get
> from the local Apple dealer on a Saturday afternoon if I have a server
> blow up, secondly you can fit two of them side by side in a 1RU rack space
> and use far less power than a typical low end 1RU server.
>
> My progress so far has been halted by the discovery that the current Mac
> Mini needs a linux kernel 2.6.35 or later to be able to detect the internal
> drive controller. Even Centos 6.0 when it comes out will only be 2.6.32 if
> they copy RHEL 6 exactly.

Yeah, I assume that CentOS6 will also have the 2.6.32 kernel.

> It would be good to install BlueOnyx native on the MacMini, but in order
> to do that, somehow I have to boot from a 2.6.35 kernel, install BlueOnyx,
> then replace the BlueOnyx kernel that gets installed witha 2.6.35 kernel.
>
> Any suggestions how I might go about that?

Phew. This is sort of a "Catch 22" situation.

> Alternately I could install Fedora 14 and see if I can install BlueOnyx
> tarball on top of that. I know the tarball  was written for CentOS 5, but
> would it work on top of a Fedora 14 minimal install?

No, forget it, Ernie. Although I could possibly do it given some time and
ressources, it would be an effort that's totally out of proportion for a one
time install on a single box. The 5106R code will not work on Fedora 14. It
would need to be recompiled from the sources, but even then it will conflict
with the PHP-5.3 on FC14. The 5107R/5108R sources suiteable for CentOS6 (and
PHP-5.3!) are still "work in progress" and will not provide you with a working
box, as there are still some loose ends with some modules (base-email and
others).

What could be done is this:
===================

One could download the 2.6.35 kernel SRPM for FC14 and could try to recompile
it on CentOS5. Then one takes the BlueOnyx ISO image apart and replaces the
CentOS5 kernel on the CD with the recompiled 2.6.35 FC14 kernel.

Additionally it may be necessary to replace the 1st stage loader of the CD
with a modified one from the FC14 ISO image, or the installer will be unable
to access the disks for the installation.

Even then there are some unknown waters:

Will the FC14 2.6.35 kernel compile on CentOS5 w/o to begin with? It could
require a vast array of updated RPMs that are not present in the desired
version numbers.

Will your custom CentOS5 will be able to boot and run with the 2.6.35 kernel,
as there are some architectural changes?

It could be that the FC14 1st stage loader also requires a newer Anaconda
installer than the one present on our CD. In that case more extensive updates
would be required to our custom CD.

If someone would borrow or donate me a Mac Mini, I could certainly throw
something together and it would be a nice exercise and fun project for a
couple of weekends. But I'm not really inclined to pay 709,- EUR for a (nice
looking - that's true!) cigar-box with the Apple logo on it, while I could get
a fully blown and much more powerful desktop server for the same price.

--

Oh, I just checked the CentOS forums and there could be another way:

See: http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10701

Use the latest CentOS5 DVD and install a CentOS5 minimal install as outlined
in the 1st post on that page. Be sure to set up a separate /home partition as
well, as BlueOnyx wants one.

Once you have CentOS5 installed and the Mac Mini survived a reboot and still
has a network connection, then grab the BlueOnyx tarball and install BlueOnyx
from the tarball.

Maybe that works. But no guarantees.