[BlueOnyx:05830] BlueOnyx on 2010 model Mac Mini

User Ernie ernie at info.eis.net.au
Sun Nov 14 21:51:08 -05 2010

I am trying to install BlueOnlx on the current 2010 version of the Mac Mini
for a couple of reasons, firstly it is commodity hardware that I can get from
the local Apple dealer on a Saturday afternoon if I have a server blow up,
secondly you can fit two of them side by side in a 1RU rack space and
use far less power than a typical low end 1RU server.

My progress so far has been halted by the discovery that the current Mac
Mini needs a linux kernel 2.6.35 or later to be able to detect the internal
drive controller. Even Centos 6.0 when it comes out will only be 2.6.32 if
they copy RHEL 6 exactly.

Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) server works fine on the Mac Mini, it has kernel
2.6.35 by default, I have tested BlueOnyx performance on the Mac Mini using
Ubuntu with BlueOnyx running in  a KVM virtual machine.

I also discovered that Fedora 14 has the 2.6.35 kernel.

It would be good to install BlueOnyx native on the MacMini, but in order
to do that, somehow I have to boot from a 2.6.35 kernel, install BlueOnyx,
then replace the BlueOnyx kernel that gets installed witha 2.6.35 kernel.

Any suggestions how I might go about that?

Alternately I could install Fedora 14 and see if I can install BlueOnyx
tarball on top of that. I know the tarball  was written for CentOS 5, but
would it work on top of a Fedora 14 minimal install?

- Ernie.